Saturday, March 6, 2010

Caleb's Painting

This is a painting I did for my brother. I started out kind of just playing with the paint and as it developed it turned into a painting about Heaven. It’s about the glimpses of beauty that we see and feel and experience here and there amidst the darkness and pain and suffering. It’s about how those moments of overwhelming beauty are foretastes of Heaven and, as such, are like windows into Heaven. The lines lacing in and out of the windows represent the interconnectedness between earth as we now experience it and Heaven as we now catch glimpses it.

You can click on the pictures to see them bigger. It's 36x48" in real life and loses a lot in photographs.


6 comments:

  1. "And the city has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine upon it, for the glory of God has illumined it, and its lamp is the Lamb." Rev.21:23 Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW I can't believe that's going to be in my house someday- it's a masterpiece Martha. Beautiful, dimensional and emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is SO gorgeous! i was telling some friends about it yesterday... i want to hear you tell me more about it in person. miss you :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. "moments of overwhelming beauty"
    I like that phrase. God does give us those moments, a preview, a hint; we know that even those hints are far short of what we will experience there.

    I love the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how many prints are you making? will they cost under 2 million each?
    it's stunning. the word creative is not enough.

    ReplyDelete