Thursday, August 19, 2010

Uncivil War

The powers of darkness in my house have been caught off guard. If you read THIS post, you know I have what feels like millions of heinous killer crickets in my house. A friend of mine told me how to make cricket traps with a big loop of duct tape. Apparently camel crickets are attracted to glue. I usually use three loops of tape attached to a piece of cardboard.

Well these traps work. So instead of the trauma they were inflicting, they are being caught on the duct tape traps. Yes, I do check the traps and dispatch them in a fast and merciful squash.

Just last night I was walking around checking my locks in the dark, by the faint street light coming in through the blinds, and I saw a large dark spot on my floor. I stomped, it jumped. I stomped again, it jumped again and disappeared (this is why I never go barefoot in my house…). I made a duct tape trap and put it near where I saw it. This morning? Not one, but three large crickets caught, with no adrenaline rush or trauma.

Thank God for a solution. I can’t help but think that the place Jesus is preparing for me won’t have any giant crickets in it.

4 comments:

  1. "But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us."!!!! Rom.8:37

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, no, no, no, no! Not the mutant spider cricket/hoppy bugs... My heart started racing as I was reading your post... I think I told you that we had those in our basement growing up, and that's where my room was. I'm actually having trouble breathing just thinking about it. I'm sending 40 rolls of duct tape, and I'm going to duct tape the perimeter of my house now, too. Just in case. Perhaps my windows and door frames, too. Oh, and I'm sending you army boots. There won't be a second hop....

    Hope this finds you in a good place... Prayers, as always. Hugs. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, thanks for such a great solution to crickets! Even though we've sprayed the exterior foundation of the house, we still get a handful who seem to cross that barrier. I'll try the duct tape for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nanci and Paul ErkertSeptember 1, 2010 at 4:57 PM

    This reminds me of how we dealt with cockroaches when we were in "Jungle Camp" in southern Mexico. We would wrap masking tape, sticky side out, around our table and chair legs at night. Then in the morning, when the tape was covered with cockroaches, we would let the chickens in to eat them. Thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete