Monday, October 11, 2010

Horses...

I went trail riding with good friend and her horses today. This is the first horse I've ever ridden for more than fifty feet. My friend is a professional horse trainer, and rider trainer... so I was fairly relaxed knowing she'd tell me what to do.

Her horse, Faline, is very, very responsive, but she's also playful/questioning enough to keep me very attentive. Faline kept wanting to break into a trot in the middle of going up a hill, when I hadn't asked her to, so that made things a little unpredictable and a lot more fun.

The smallest touch made her move one way or another, so I was trying to learn how to make sure I wasn't sending her mixed signals, say by moving her over to the right with my left leg while the rein was (accidently) touching the right side of her neck, making her think I wanted her to go two directions at the same time... It's a little like driving a stick shift but with a lot more variables....




7 comments:

  1. That looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must confess to being a bit jealous of your horse-back riding...though it's been so many years for since I last rode that I probably wouldn't be able to walk afterwards. Enjoy :-)
    love you lots! M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha, I simply love the picture of you riding Faline. Thank you for sharing it. Also, I had to giggle when I read about "mixed messages". I'm sure there's a sermon in that! Heard you're in Waxhaw (sp??). Hope you're having a delightful time. I miss seeing you. Looked for your car after I got back from Ireland. Look forward to talking with you. You are such a wisdom-filled young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you enjoyed your day! You look like an old pro in the picture, so nobody really needs to know otherwise... ;-)

    Love, hugs, and prayers. Lots of all.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed...last time I went horseback riding was about 20+ years ago...I tried to impress my date by making the horse gallop...it sideswiped a tree with me on the back...I swear it was on purpose...I haven't been on a horse since my knee pops when I think about it...You must have been more gentle & persuasive...Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my favorite part of "clan of the cavebear," was when ayla learned to ride the wild horse. hence your mixed signals and how to figure it out. glad you had a nice time on such beautiful animals (the rider was beautiful too!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. really awesome pics! love the one of your riding faline and the orange clouds iin the other post.... cant wait to catch up... i was excited to hear your voice today :) JRD

    ReplyDelete