Thursday, November 18, 2010

Jesus and "Death"

“Death” has stolen again. Last night I heard that someone who has been a huge encourager to me, and her son, have been separated from her husband suddenly. He made the Transition and they know he is Home, but what about them?

I found myself really upset emotionally for her family and trying really hard to remember what I’ve learned, what God has taught me.

I tried to remember what He taught me about unnatural disasters after the earthquake in Haiti almost a year ago, when I didn’t know if my brother and his wife were “dead” or alive. (Instead of “dead” I should say Alive at Home, as opposed to alive here).

Then I was trying to remember what He showed me only weeks ago about hope in grief.

Then I remembered something I’ve heard my pastor say several times, that this life is an hors d'oeuvre, an appetizer before the real thing; before Life eternal.

But that doesn’t make it unpainful for a loved one to Transition, it doesn’t make the grief just vanish, it doesn’t make all of the stuff surrounding a transition just not need to be done, and it doesn’t make continuing without the person not an excruciating adjustment.

This morning I saw this:



I have heard the hallelujah chorus hundreds of times; it is one of my favorite pieces of music. But today when I saw this, and heard the lyrics, what breathed hope into me was the reminder that the words of the song are true: Jesus already kicked death’s ass, and death’s days are numbered. When He comes back, He will annihilate death forever, forever and ever. There will be no more pain, no more tears, no more separation.

When I listened to this song this morning, it struck me as a triumphant battle song, a proclamation of hope and life, a reminder that He already reigns forever and ever, He will continue to reign forever and ever, and nothing in this life can overcome Him. He is more powerful than death.

Death seems so overwhelmingly powerful that, for me at least, it’s hard to remember the hope we can have.

We grieve, but we don’t grieve without hope.

Hallelujah Chorus, From Handel's Messiah.
Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
The kingdom of this world
Is become the kingdom of our Lord,
And of His Christ, and of His Christ;
And He shall reign for ever and ever,
For ever and ever, forever and ever,
King of kings, and Lord of lords,
King of kings, and Lord of lords,
And Lord of lords,
And He shall reign,
And He shall reign forever and ever,
King of kings, forever and ever,
And Lord of lords,
Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
And He shall reign forever and ever,
King of kings! and Lord of lords!
And He shall reign forever and ever,
King of kings! and Lord of lords!
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
Hallelujah!

5 comments:

  1. Hallelujah indeed! what a joyful video! love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Triumphant! You said a mouthful sister! Thanks for the post - I needed that. I like to think that I am checking up on you and then out of nowhere, your post ministers to me. Always trips me out! He certainly does work in mysterious ways!
    I hope you are pain free and doing things that make you happy. Know that there are many who hold you closely and lift you up!
    Praying for good things for you,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often semi-jokingly commented that at my funeral I do not want a soloist...I want a full choir singing the Hallelujah Chorus. I love this song!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i saw this a week ago. it brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. You've experienced firsthand the fallout from Satan's thievery. Although her sweetheart is rejoicing with his Savior, she and many others are denied his life-giving, kingdom-building, purposeful presence. Thankfully, our God promises to work even this for good. Jesus spoke about this when He said, "The enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy; I have come that they might have life and have it more abundantly." I love how scripture reveals His heart for our joy this side of heaven--He spent his time "destroying the works of the devil". I pray the joy of the LORD to be your strength and the strength of your dear friend. We know He cares for her--He provided you to encourage her. He is faithful and trustworthy and worthy of praise, even when circumstance stinks. Handel had it right: "Hallelujah!"
    love,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete