Thursday, January 13, 2011

Some Pretty Things

Some friends gave me these lovely tulips this week.



This is a hat I crocheted. It’s the magnum opus of my crocheted hats. I made about ten other hats along the way and learned something from each one that added to the skill set I needed to make this one. (The colors in this image are not accurate... I'm not quite sure what happened)


My Favorite part is the four color spiral at the top, where I began the hat. If you want to know how to start a multicolor spiral, check out THIS LINK.


I also like the border because of its subtle picot pattern.... This picture also shows the colors most accurately, except the darker purple is a true dark violet-purple and what looks like black is actually a deep indigo blue....


Here is a similar hat in progress: You work each of the colors for so many stitches and then repeat, repeat, repeat, so you have the ends of each color hanging loose until you’re finished. I may try one with six colors, just for fun.


I’m still having mostly good days, tinged with the digestive crud. The hip pain is still pretty terrible—and much worse later in the day.

It’s really hard to know what’s going on with this stuff. There is definitely enough crud to make me think the partial bowel obstruction is a reality, and I am definitely only drinking water and Ensure, but the whole thing is variable enough that it’s hard to get a grasp on.

Trying to understand this physical process is kind of like trying to catch a slippery fish with your hands; you can feel it and see it but you can’t quite get a hold of it.... : )

I’m still praying for a clot instead of the bowel obstruction (and every time I type that, I type “bowl” and then imagine of all the ways a bowl of cereal could be obstructed—cheerio dams etc).....

I treated myself to two humidifiers today (two because I don't want to have to move one back and forth between the front of my house during the day, and my bedroom at night). I’ve been coughing and coughing, to the point where I almost vomited several times a few nights ago... My wonderful nurse brother suggested that my house is very, very dry and the dry environment could be causing the coughing. I never thought of that; it’s a knee jerk reaction at this point to blame everything on the cancer... I can’t wait to see how the humidifier works...

Also, I’ve gotten a huge number of very, very, very encouraging, kind, and thoughtful emails and comments on here recently—they are really super awesome and I really appreciate them. Thank you!

Peace, Martha

9 comments:

  1. Oh, Martha. You surprise me every day. Posting about your final days and at the same time posting about pretty little hats that you are enjoying constructing. I admire you for being able to do that.

    I hope the humidifier helps with the cough. Comfort is what I wish for you during these days.

    I am praying for you. Having been dx w/ovca in Jan 2009 I'm sure I'll follow you soon, even tho at the moment I am doing well. If you want to email, my addy is judystill and I am at that hotmail place.

    I would add "Christ be with you", but I know that He already is. Blessed be the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hats are awesome!!! I love you :) Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife guided me to your blog and after reading some of your thoughts I now understand why! God has given me a great treasure as a helpmate. She has been fightning cancer for several years now and has been deeply blessed by your thoughts which are guided by your faith in God. Her faith has been a blessing to our family and especially to ne, I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts with all of us.

    I am also fighting cancer which God has given to me for my sanctification. My sinful nature is always close and I am extremely grateful to God for a disease that drives sin to the surface and provides the power of the Spirit for putting it to death. Roman 8

    Philippians chapter 3 is one of my favorite chapters of the writings of the apostle Paul. They have given me great comfort through this spiritual battle. Knowing the end is always near.

    Php 3:8 ESV Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ

    or

    Php 3:10-14 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, (11) that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. (12) Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. (13) Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, (14) I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post, Martha. It's so Martha. After your last post, I worried that I may have been among those to cause consternation. Bless you. Sheran

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing with us the beauty of color and pattern! I am glad you are being luxurious with the humidifiers. They have always helped me be more comfortable. Enjoy the sunshine pouring in this day and know God is smiling upon you. love ruthann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm friends-of-friends of your brother in Haiti...and found your blog a few months back via one of their postings.
    Thanks for sharing your journey. I know I'm peeking in as an outsider, but you are speaking to me in real, vibrant ways. I've been challenged this year to accept a series of Very Bad Things and your grace and joy are inspirational.
    Thank you...and richest blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "The scent of a flower goes but with the wind; the perfume of a holy life goes even against the wind." Scriptorium, All Saints Convent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wear my hat everyday. Love it and you!

    ReplyDelete